Thursday, April 15, 2010

Trains Cars and Automobiles...


In preperation for a cover shoot i have to do for a magazine i had a quick play with the lights in our backyard. On hand was my brother in law's new Subaru WRX. It took me few moments to remember what i did last time and how to get the lights right but i got it in the end with only 4 lights. Your are not going the get the qaulity of shot you will be able to get in a studio with an adjustable ceiling but for location shoots this is just fine. I am throwing a few diagrams in for those of you that are technically minded.

I had four lights, two 500W strobes and two 300 W strobes. The 300's i put alongside the car, seperating the car from them witha big scrim (white, almost translucent material stretched over a frame). The two 500W's I fitted with Softboxes. The one I put on high level to the back bumper of the car while i had the bigger of the two softboxes flat in front of the car. I shot then from this angle. When i wanted to do a shot from a higher angle I also had to raise the lights to make sure i get more light on the roof of the car.

There are a lot of different ways to get this right but I have always found that simple is sometimes the best.
Here is the photos to have a look. i did have to get the obligatory photo of the proud car-owner of course....



No comments: